A staggering 85% of Danes mention candles when asked to describe a hygge atmosphere. But did you know that not all candles are created equal? The Danes, masters of hygge, have a particular preference when it comes to candles that might surprise you. They prioritize organic materials and reject artificial, fragrant, colored options that many of us are accustomed to. Why? Let’s dive into the not-so-cozy truth about the popular candles you likely use and discover the health-conscious, sustainable alternatives.
You may also like:
The Hidden Hazards of Mainstream Candles
- Toxic Wax: Many commercially available candles are made from paraffin wax, a byproduct of petroleum refining. When burned, paraffin candles release harmful chemicals like benzene and toluene, known carcinogens. These chemicals can pollute the indoor air and affect respiratory health over time.
- Artificial Scents & Dyes: Scented candles can emit chemicals like formaldehyde and acetaldehyde when burned. These chemicals can aggravate asthma and allergies and even affect neurological functions. The dyes used to color candles also introduce unnecessary chemicals into your home’s air.
The Hygge Candle Choice: Natural & Unscented Wax
The Danes opt for hygge candles made from natural, renewable wax, like soy and beeswax. These options have the following advantages:
- Cleaner Burn: Natural wax burns cleaner and produces as much as 90% less soot than paraffin, reducing the amount of indoor air pollution.
- Sustainable: Natural wax is biodegradable and made from renewable resources.
- Longer Lasting: Natrual wax candles tend to burn slower, allowing for extended enjoyment.
- Unscented: The absence of artificial scents means you will enjoy cleaner air and will protect yourself and your family from inhaling chemicals like formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
While it might be tempting to choose a candle that smells like your favorite dessert or blooms, the hygge way encourages a more natural approach. Unscented candles ensure that your indoor environment remains as pure as possible, allowing the amber glow and warmth of the flame to take the stage.
Hygge Candle Buying Guide
These candles from Red Barn Candle Company align with the hygge philosophy with their aesthetic wooden bread tray design and 100% all-natural soy wax. This unscented, 3-wick candle has become a centerpiece in our living space, providing both ambiance and a touch of farmhouse décor.
This 6 oz. beauty, aptly named ‘Naked’, captured our attention with its commitment to sustainability. Made from US grown soybeans and boasting all-natural wicks, it ensures a clean burn without compromising on ambiance. We appreciate the thoughtful details, from the phthalate-free composition to the recycled glass jar and kraft label, making it an environmentally-conscious and pure candle experience.
These candles, meticulously handcrafted in the United States, shine bright with a promise of quality. Made of 100% pure beeswax, equipped with lead-free, 100% cotton wicks, and an impressive burn time – lasting up to 5 hours, they meet all hygge candle expectations. A standout feature is their dripless design, making evenings hassle-free and surfaces clean.
Made from a blend of beeswax and other natural waxes, these candles ensure you aren’t exposed to petroleum-based or paraffin waxes. It’s substantial burn time of up to 102 hours promises many evenings of warm ambiance. With lead-free natural fiber wicks, the candle ensures a clean, soot-free burn, prioritizing your family’s health.
Best Practices for Burning Hygge Candles
- Ventilation: Even with clean-burning candles, it’s essential to ensure regular airflow. Periodically open windows and doors to refresh the indoor air, especially after burning candles.
- Burn in Moderation: Instead of having numerous candles lit at once, try limiting to one or two. This minimizes potential indoor pollutants and prolongs the life of your candles.
- Trim the Wick: Keep your wick trimmed to about 1/4 inch. A shorter wick produces a cleaner burn with less soot.
Incorporating the Danish art of hygge into your life is more than just a design choice—it’s a lifestyle that promotes well-being, sustainability, and contentment. By choosing organic, unscented candles, you not only elevate your living space but also make a conscious decision to prioritize your health and the environment.
Final Thoughts on Clean Hygge Candles
Deciding which candle to light in your home goes beyond just aesthetic preferences or scent; it’s a choice that impacts your health, your environment, and your overall well-being. The Danish concept of hygge teaches us that the true comfort of candlelight lies in healthier, natural options like soy or beeswax candles. These hygge candles burn cleaner, last longer and contribute to a sustainable lifestyle. As we’ve learned, the hidden hazards of some commercial candles can be easily avoided by making conscious, informed choices. So, next time you’re shopping for candles, remember the hygge way—choose natural wax, unscented candles. By doing so, you’re making a commitment not only to yourself but also to the world around you. For more inspiration and recommendations on hygge candles, check out our post Hygge Candles: The Essential Guide to Choosing Hygge Candles.